Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Heal Yourself

So we all know that food is wonderful. I don't know too many people that hate it! :) Well, it's true! Food is a wonderful, wonderful part of life. It's an essential part of life. It's also filled with the very nutrients that can naturally heal and protect your body. I love the idea that I can enjoy a delicious meal and help myself at the same time. I hope you will too.
Below are some of my favorites things as well as some I need to include more of in my diet. I've also listed some of the reason you should include them too! I will add that a few of these are cancer fighting. As a former smoker I am really interested in finding ways to help repair the damage I have done to myself and ways to reduce my risks.
I hope you enjoy!! PS...I am no doctor :) I have only done some research that I want to share.

Sweet Potatoes- I have to admit, I use to think this was unhealthy because it had the word sweet in it. It's actually just unhealthy when you cook it with all that stuff you don't need. By it's self it is easily one of the healthiest foods you can eat.
Advantages- Protects against Parkinson's, cystic fibrosis, Alzheimer's, liver disease, HIV, heart attack, stroke and cancer! Counters effects of secondhand smoke and helps prevent diabetes. Can enhance metabolism and immune health.
That is one healthy potato!!!!!!
Amount- you can have one a day but if not try at least 4 a week.

Figs (This is one of those things I should add.)
Advantages- PACKED with potassium, manganese, fiber and antioxidants. Helps support pH levels which make it difficult for pathogens to invade. Lowers insulin and blood sugar levels reducing risk of diabetes and metabolic syndrome.
Amount- about four a week. Eat alone and pick dark figs for the most nutrients.

Pomegranates - Ah, the difficult fruit. Oh, and the fruit that stains. So what is good about this fruit other than you get a workout while trying to get the seeds out? Well, this is for the men. This fruit actually slows the growth of prostate cancer cells by 6 times!
Amount- 1 pom or a cup a day. (avoid sugary imitation)

Mushrooms- (Shiitake reiki, maitake)Certain mushrooms will give you different benefits so look up what you can if you'd like some other kinds.
Advantages- Cancer fighter!
Amount - 1/2cup twice a week

Blueberries- This is a fruit I have only recently been trying to add more of. (Outside of muffins!!) One serving of these are going to give you more antioxidants than any other fruit!
Advantages -antioxidant super food!, cancer and heart disease preventer!
Amount - Whatever you'd like. I read that putting these with some strawberries and drizzling with lemon juice is going to give you a real super fighting snack.

Ginger - I'm trying to find more ways to get this fresh root in my diet.
Advantages- Cancer suppressor (especially against colon)
Amount- as much as you can get!

Chili Peppers - LOVE THESE
Advantages - Increases metabolism, natural blood thinner, helps release endorphins, fights infections, prevents inflammation and helps prevents prostate cancer.
Amount - 1/2 pepper or 1 Tablespoon of flakes a day.

Cinnamon- MMM
Advantages - Prevents bad breath!, inhibits blood clotting, inhibits bacterial growth. Right now it's also suggested it can help stabilize blood sugar.
Amount - half a teaspoon a day

Green Tea - We all know it's good.....so do we know why?
Advantages - Reduces the risk of most types of cancer, Supports growth of GOOD intestinal bacteria, inhibits bad bacteria.
Amount - 4 cups a day! Yep 4. With 70 percent of you immune system located in your digestive tract, you want to drink 4!

I know I will be trying to get more of these in my diet. I have a few covered but

No comments:

Post a Comment